Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Some days it takes a slap in the face with a wet diaper to connect the dots…Or listening to The Shins with a glass of wine…

“Gold teeth and a curse for this town are all in my mouth, Only I don’t know how they got out, dear…”

The Shins, for those of you who know nuthin, are an indie band who have some catchy tunes with the weirdest freakin lyrics this side of “I am the Walrus.” Even The Kid says they’re weird, and she listens to scream-o which sound like a band fronted by The Tazmanian Devil; “Blar Bleh Rawr Re Hawrrr” are some of the lyrics I’ve heard. I think. Anyway, it sounds like a lot of growling and stomach noises, amplified, of course.

“Turn me back into the pet I was when we met, I was happier then with no mindset…”

Yes, once again I’m going back to “The Job.”

And if you a took to me like a gull takes to the wind, well I’d jump from my tree and I’d dance like the king of the eyesores, and the rest of our lives would ‘a fared well”

You know, that one. The one with the horsie. The one with the people who do drive by shoutings and yell stuff at us about animal cruelty and, throw stuff at us and tell us to and get “real” jobs, slave drivers…

Yes, that’s where I got the name. It’s not some kinky sex thing, although it does involve leather. ;)

“New Slang when you notice the stripes, dirt in your fries, hope it’s right when you die, old and bony
Dawn breaks like a bull through the hall, never should have called, but my heads to the wall and I’m lonely.”


The job is my tune. The day to day crappola that goes along with it are the lyrics. Some days they go yada yada hahaha and some days they go blah blah blah kerplunk, but it doesn’t matter. It’s the tune that makes my heart dance.

And if you a took to me like a gull takes to the wind, well I’d jump from my tree and I’d dance like the king of the eyesores, and the rest of our lives would ‘a fared well

I love the tune. I love to dance to it like the king of the eyesores.

I know it probably sounds really asinine to love a job that other people sneer at. Matter of fact, we call ourselves “Carney Whores,” except Wease says “At least Carney Whores have something to sell that someone is willing to pay for…”

“God speed all the bakers at dawn, may they all cut their thumbs, and bleed into their buns until they melt away…”

On the other hand, you should see the absolute joy on the face of a person who has never seen a real horse! I know, I can’t believe it either, but we get them. Me, I’ve seen all the parts of a horse up close and personal. I used to work as a mare handler at a stud farm, and I’ve got stories, let me tell ya. But that doesn’t matter.

I’m looking in on the good life I might be doomed never to find.
Without a trust or flaming fields am I too dumb to refine?
And if you’d ‘a took to me like
well I’d danced like the queen of the eyesores
and the rest of our lives would ‘a fared well.


We take people on ride for birthdays or anniversaries or because they are kids who are sick and fragile and you just know they’re not long for this world, but you smile and make them think that they are the most important person in the world for their half hour.

And you know what?

They are.

2 comments:

Skeeter Demon said...

How did the wedding go? Was the wedding couple one of the ones who got engaged in your carriage?

If there is a comparable service in Fort Worth, I don't know about it. Still a great background for a set of mysteries. Or a travelling angel.

It's wonderful that you can make people feel so special. What a gift!

Lisa Deon said...

Weddings are usually easy, except thisone was a little more stressful because they were working on the front of JSB and Charlie is not too fond of nail guns.

They rarely are one and the same, although we do tend to promote the "We also do weddings" after they get engaged in the carriage. I had a couple walk up to me last week at South Gate and tell me that I was their wedding driver last April. I rarely recognize anyone. It's all a big blur after 4 years.