Monday, September 8, 2008

What to do with those pesky leftovers...

Potato Skin Casserole

Yeah, I know. Who do I think I am, the Galloping Gourmet? Not exactly, because I don’t let the carriage horse gallop. Intentionally. However, I was at one time a lunch lady for the high school in Smithville, Missouri. So I am a professional. Kind of.

Anyway, now that you’ve made the baked Potato soup you probably have some potatoes, green onions, bacon bits and cheese left over. I know I do. So, here’s how you use them up.

Yes, yes, I know, another high carb, high calorie, chocked full-o-fat recipe. Do I look like I’m a member of weight watchers? I did not get this way by noshing on celery, ya know. I only eat celery when it’s stuck in a Bloody Mary. Otherwise why bother. It’s like eating crunchy water full of dental floss, and the only flavor you get from it is when it’s dipped in ranch dressing.

So, here is what you need:

Potatoes
Shredded cheddar cheese
Diced green onions
Bacon Bits
Ranch dressing
a casserole dish and an oven.





Boil the potatoes until they’re soft. They don’t have to be mashed potato soft, but when the skin cracks it’s a good indicator that they’re ready. Take them out of the water and let them cool.

Pre heat your oven to 350 degrees.

Spray a casserole dish with Pam or the generic equivalent. Trust me, whoever does the dishes in your house will thank you. When your potatoes are cool enough that you won’t get 2nd degree burns handling them, cut them into quarters. Leave the skin on. It has more calories that way. Layer the casserole dish with half of your potatoes. What’s that? I didn’t tell you how many potatoes to use? How many people are you feeding? Use two potatoes per person. And if you have leftovers, so what. This makes a great breakfast item, too. So shut up already!

So, layer of potatoes, on top of that sprinkle ½ of the cheese, green onions, bacon bits, and them squeeze a bunch of ranch dressing on it. You know, it really doesn’t matter how much you use of any of it, with the exception of the ranch dressing. Use enough of that to make it moist but not potato/ranch soup. Although that doesn’t sound half bad.

Repeat the layering process with the rest of the potatoes, green onions, bacon bits, cheese and top it off with another long and healthy squeeze of Ranch. Put it in the oven for about a half an hour, or until the cheese melts and the whole thing is hot.

Serve. Eat. Repeat.

1 comment:

Belle's personal assistant said...

Its easy to tell when September comes... weddings or skunky city. I just have a hard time with recipes from hands that must go without washing for as long as carriage drivers do.